Invitation to the LERU Anniversary Conference:
“European Research Universities - Guide and Engine for Europe 2050”
Barcelona, 9-10 May 2012
The League of European Research Universities (LERU) is celebrating its 10th anniversary in 2012.
To commemorate this occasion, LERU will hold a special conference in Barcelona on 9-10 May 2012. The conference, entitled “European Research Universities – Guide and Engine for Europe 2050”, will provide a unique forum for the leaders of some of Europe’s leading research universities to exchange views with their counterparts from outside Europe and with high level representatives from the government and business sectors.
The conference will focus on the present and future role of European research universities, relating it, in particular, to the EU research and innovation policy of the coming years. A comparison will be made with the situation in other parts of the world, including the US, Australia, China and Latin-America, looking at topics such as frontier research and innovation, research assessment, management, funding, training and careers, mobility and the nexus between teaching/learning and research.
The leaders of LERU universities will share their views regarding the future of research universities in Europe and formulate proposals for how European research universities should evolve in order to remain a guide and engine for Europe 2050. Comments on those proposals will be voiced by representatives from the EU institutions, the business world, and LERU’s network counterparts such as the AAU, Go8 and C9.
Some of the confirmed speakers are:
- · Mr. Brian Ager, Secretary General, European Roundtable of Industrialists
- Prof. Anne Glover, Chief Scientific Advisor to President Barroso, European Commission
- · Prof. Andreu Mas-Colell, Catalan Minister for Economy and Knowledge
- · Prof. Helga Nowotny, President, European Research Council
- · Mrs. Teresa Riera Madurell, Member of the European Parliament
- · Prof. Sir Leszek Borysiewicz, Vice-Chancellor, University of Cambridge
- · Prof. Yang Wei, President of Zhejiang University, Chairman of the C9 League
- · Dr. John C. Vaughn, Executive Vice President of the Association of American Universities (AAU)
- · Prof. Edward Byrne AO, Vice-Chancellor of Monash University, Deputy Chair of the Group of Eight (Go8)
- Ms. Carmen Vela, Spanish State Secretary for Research, Development and Innovation
To find a full list of the speakers, a detailed programme, and to register, go to the website of the conference: www.10yearsleru.org.
It is our pleasure to invite you to this conference and we hope to be able to welcome you in Barcelona.
Prof. Bernd Huber
President of LERU and President of LMU München
Prof. Dídac Ramírez y Sarrió
Rector of the Universitat de Barcelona