UNICA STUDENT CONFERENCE 2021 (online)
“Transforming Your University in the post COVID-19 age”
New! Experts Webinar “inNOVAtion at UNICA” | 5 July, 3pm-4:30pm (CEST)
Students at the USC21 will have the opportunity to participate in a unique webinar with two experts in the area oh Higher Education: Professor Sue Black, from Lancaster University, and Professor Peretz Lavie, from Technion – Israel Institute of Technology. The session will be moderated by Professor Luís Baptista, from NOVA University Lisbon.
The experts will make two brief presentation before interacting with students on:
- The importance of civic engagement for a modern University (Professor Sue Black)
- 21st century innovation a key to unlocking cities economic growth: the role of universities (Professor Peretz Lavie)
Check the programme for the experts webinar.
About the Conference
Initiated in 2000 by Freie Universität Berlin, the first university to advocate the involvement of students in the activities of the network, the UNICA Student Conference is now an established and joyful UNICA tradition. The Conference gathers every 2-3 years 200 to 300 students from UNICA Member universities whose enthousiasm and ideas bring a breath of fresh air to the network.
The Conference provides students with a unique possibility of meeting their peers from other European countries and share their views on meaningful issues related to HE. Students are also encouraged to formulate opinions and recommendations that can be voiced within the UNICA network as well as to relevant stakeholders and give rise to new challenging initiatives.
Topics of the Student Conference 2021:
- Science in the city
- Equal, diverse and inclusive universities
- Europe’s position in world’s politics
- Social media and European societies
- More sustainable societies: the role of universities
- International students: engaging with local communities
- How can Universities and cities work together to improve students’ life?
- Formal and informal learning: Innovative pedagogical approaches prompted by the COVID-19 crisis
- Inter-disciplinary and trans-disciplinary education
- Jobs in the digital society : the role of universities
A short description of the topics that will be debated in the 10 Student Fora with references/suggested reading is available here.
How you can participate
All UNICA member universities are warmly invited to participate in the 10th UNICA Student Conference with a delegation of up to 10 students per country:
- Nominate an Academic Tutor (responsible for the background preparation of student delegates) and a Contact Person (responsible for practical matters) and communicate their names and contact details as soon as possible via the below forms;
- Select the Student delegates and communicate their details and two preferences among the 10 topics by Wednesday, 31 March 2021 (one form per student).
Registration of Students
DEADLINE: Wednesday, 31 March 2021
Registration Academic Tutors
DEADLINE: 5 February 2021 (late registrations accepted)
Registration Contact Persons
DEADLINE: 5 February 2021 (late registrations accepted)
ROAD MAP TO THE CONFERENCE
In order to facilitate the preparation of Student delegates, allow them to meet and discuss ahead of the Conference, and make the most out of the event in July, online activities will be proposed to the students from mid-April to early July 2021:
• 15 April, 17:00 – 20:00 (CEST): PLENARY SESSION addressed to all Student delegates and led by the Chairs of the 10 Fora, who will give a presentation on each topic;
• WARM UP MEETINGS with breakout rooms for each Forum (i.e. students will only need to attend the meeting on their specific topic):
- 27 April, 10:00 – 13:00 (CEST): Relation/ Engagement between City and University – Meeting for Students assigned to the topics Science & the City; International students: engaging with local communities; Jobs in the digital era: the role of Universities and cities)
- 11 May, 10:00 – 13:00 (CEST): Universities’ Social and Sustainable Responsibilities – Meeting for Students assigned to the topics Equal, diverse and inclusive universities; More sustainable societies: the role of universities; How can Universities and cities work together to improve students’ life?;
- 25 May, 14:00 – 17:00 (CEST): Policy – Meeting for Students assigned to the topics Europe’s position in world’s politics; Social media and European societies);
- 8 June, 10:00 – 13:00 (CEST): Educational Methods/ Approaches – Meeting for Students assigned to the topics Formal and informal learning: Innovative pedagogical approaches prompted by the COVID-19 crisis; Challenges and opportunities of inter-disciplinary and trans-disciplinary education.
• Between mid-June and early July, some webinars with talks by experts on the topics of the Conference followed by Q&A will be organized: further details coming soon!
Please note that the activities organised before the Student Conference are not mandatory. However students should be encouraged to participate and contribute as much as possible and each student should attend at least the plenary session on 15 April and the warm-up meeting related to her/his topic.
- Selection of students: please consult the Guidelines;
- Short abstract: each student should submit a short preliminary abstract by 18 April 2021. The abstracts will feed into the discussions of the warm-up meetings with the Chairs, and the students will have the opportunity to further improve, correct and finalize them before the final Conference. Please consult the Guidelines for more details;
- Videos: each delegation shall prepare a 1-minute video on the main theme of the Conference: “Transforming your University in the post COVID-19 age”. The videos shall be sent not later than 18 June 2021. Further details on the video competition coming soon!
DOCUMENTS AND USEFUL LINKS
- Programme Experts Webinar “inNOVAtion at UNICA” (5 Jul 2021)
- Guidelines for UNICA member universities
- Road map to the Student Conference 2021
- Presentation by UNICA President at the meeting with Academic Tutors and Contact Persons, 9 March
- Description of topics with references/suggested reading
- Biographies of the chairs
- Presentations and recording of the Student Webinar held on 29 June 2020
- Previous UNICA Student Conferences
- Rome Declaration, the document expressing the voice of UNICA Student Conference 2010
- Rome Student Conference 2010 Proceedings
19 - 21 July 2021
Promoted by NOVA University Lisbon
Please note that the schedule is still subject to slight changes
19 July (afternoon):
- Opening of the Conference and Welcome addresses
- Presentations of the videos from UNICA delegations and e-voting
20 July (full day): Student Fora
21 July (morning):
- Final discussions in the Student Fora
- Presentation of the outcomes
- Closing of the Conference
For any doubts or queries, please contact the UNICA office: firstname.lastname@example.org