UNICA STUDENT CONFERENCE 2021: Transforming Your University in the post COVID-19 age
About the Conference
Initiated in 2000 by Freie Universität Berlin, the first university to advocate the involvement of students in the activities of the network, the UNICA Student Conference is now an established and joyful UNICA tradition. The Conference gathers every 2-3 years 200 to 300 students from UNICA Member universities whose enthousiasm and ideas bring a breath of fresh air to the network.
The Conference provides students with a unique possibility of meeting their peers from other European countries and share their views on meaningful issues related to HE.
Students are also encouraged to formulate opinions and recommendations that can be voiced within the UNICA Network as well as to relevant stakeholders and give rise to new challenging initiatives.
A short description of the topics debated in the 10 Student Fora is available here.
The 10th edition of the UNICA Student Conference has been organised in collaboration with NOVA University of Lisbon. Due to the pandemic situation, the conference titled “Transforming Your University in the post COVID-19 age“, took place online. In order to keep high the motivation of the students, UNICA and NOVA University Lisbon organised several social activities, an Experts Webinar, titled “inNOVAtion at UNICA”, and a UNICA Photo Contest, titled “The city through your eyes”.
Despite the online format, the student delegates, helped by the chairs, contributed in the drafting on the main outcome of the UNICA Student Conference, i.e. the UNICA Student Declaration, which will be available in September! On the last day of the conference, the chairs presented the main recommendations of the declaration and received the feedback of several academic experts.
Have a look at the presentations of the chairs
- Science & the City, Inês Cisneiros
- Equal, diverse and inclusive universities, Juan Rayón González
- Europe’s position in world politics, Ewan Ramsay
- Social media and European societies, Vasco Ricoca Peixoto
- More sustainable societies: the role of universities, Paria Moghaddam
- International students: Engaging with local communities, Tajana Mohnacki
- How can Universities and cities work together to improve students’ life?, Eduardo Freitas
- Formal and informal learning: Innovative pedagogical approaches prompted bythe COVID-19 crisis, Kristel Jakobson
- Interdisciplinary and transdisciplinary education, Joana Amado
- Jobs in the digital society : The role of universities, Bruno Marques
You can now watch the presentation of the UNICA Student Declaration 2021 here:
Road map of the conference, documents and useful links
ROAD MAP TO THE CONFERENCE
In order to facilitate the preparation of Student delegates, allow them to meet and discuss ahead of the Conference, and make the most out of the event in July, online activities have been proposed to the students from mid-April to early July 2021: download the ROAD MAP!
DOCUMENTS AND USEFUL LINKS
- Programme Experts Webinar “inNOVAtion at UNICA” (5 Jul 2021)
- Guidelines for UNICA member universities
- Road map to the Student Conference 2021
- Presentation by UNICA President at the meeting with Academic Tutors and Contact Persons, 9 March
- Description of topics with references/suggested reading
- Biographies of the chairs
- Presentations and recording of the Student Webinar held on 29 June 2020
- Previous UNICA Student Conferences
- Rome Declaration, the document expressing the voice of UNICA Student Conference 2010
- Rome Student Conference 2010 Proceedings