33rd UNICA General Assembly & Rectors Seminar | Brussels, 14-16 June 2023
The 33rd UNICA General Assembly and Rectors Seminar will be hosted by UNICA in Brussels, 14-16 June 2023.
The administrative General Assembly, which this year will also feature the elections of the new UNICA President and Steering Committee, will take place in the morning of 15 June.
Important notice: options for remote attendance will provided for the UNICA administrative General Assembly only
On 16 June, the Rectors Seminar “The way forward: Exploring the paths towards the future of European Higher Education”, will provide the academic leaders of UNICA Member universities with an opportunity to discuss and share experiences about some of the utmost transforming trends in European Higher Education: the European Universities initiative (with a specific focus on innovation of Higher Education and models of governance and sustainability in the alliances) and the use of AI in Higher Education.
Find out more about the Rectors Seminar!
Universities are taking centre stage in societal development for their privileged position as pit stops in the route of knowledge, culture, and innovation fluxes. In this context, strong partnerships have become one of the main strategies to unlock universities full potential and the European Universities initiative is the most vivid example of that. At the same time, beyond new organisational forms, there are other trends inciting change in the learning and teaching experiences, of which Artificial Intelligence is likely the most debated one in the last year.
As universities enter uncharted territory, academic leaders are challenged to rethink the experience of academia for all the community – from students and staff to those beyond the institution’s walls.
This UNICA Rectors Seminar is yet another opportunity to explore the most viable and strategic paths for universities to remain relevant and continue to make significant contributions to society. On the other side, as a collective of leaders of capital-based universities, it is also an opportunity (and a responsibility) to discuss how the distinctive features of such institutions can serve new trends in Higher Education.
In particular, and in light of the fact that 39 out of the 56 UNICA member universities take part in European Universities alliances, the Seminar aims to trigger a conversation on the European University initiative, with a focus on:
- Session 1 – “Innovation of Higher Education by European Universities alliances: multiple and joint degrees and other initiatives under development”;
- Session 2 – “Models of governance and sustainability in the European Universities alliances“;
- Session 3 – “The Impact of ChatGPT on Higher Education: learning & teaching in the post-plagiarism era” will explore another ground-breaking and cutting-edge issue concerning and affecting Higher Education: the challenges and opportunities of the use of AI tools in Higher Education.
OVERALL SCHEDULE OF THE EVENT
Day 0 – Wednesday, 14 June
- 14:30 – 17:30: Steering Committee meeting (SC members only)
- 18:00-20:00: Welcome Reception
Day 1 – Thursday, 15 June
- 9:00-13:00: UNICA Administrative General Assembly
- 14:30-16:00: Parallel informal meetings (Rectors and Contact Persons/IROs)
- 16:00-18:00: Optional social programme
- 20:00: Conference dinner
Day 2 – Friday, 16 June
- 9:00-16:15: UNICA Rectors Seminar
PRACTICAL INFORMATION FOR THE PARTICIPANTS
Click here to register for in person attendance (deadline: 26 May 2023)
Click here to register for remote attendance (General Assembly only | deadline: 3 June 2023)
14-16 June 2023
Rue d'Egmont 11, 1000 Brussels, Belgium